Dr. Joseph Kobina Essibu
Dr. Joseph Kobina Essibu was born on 3rd January, 1970 in Senya Bereku in the Central region and is a Ghanaian.
He had his elementary education in Cape Coast, obtaining his O levels at Ghana National College and A Levels at St Augustine’s College between 1990 and 1992. He later proceeded to the University of Ghana where he had a BSc in Agric Science in 1999 and an MPhil in Soil Science at the same university in 2002.
Mr. Essibu was initially influenced by the profession of his father who was a teacher. He therefore had a passion for teaching. Apart from that, the massive rate of failures recorded in the West Africa Secondary School Certificate Examination incensed Joseph to help students overcome their frustrations and challenges in writing the exams. He also wanted to unearth the hidden potentials of students because he strongly believes that every person has a seed of genius in them which needs just the right motivation and environment to harness.
Realising the need to assist students pass their exams, Joseph thought out a concept of teaching students to re-write their exams. It started on University of Ghana campus dining halls in 2002 while he was still a student, then to 2 classrooms at Mepeasem in Accra and later into a fully-fledged 5-storey building school at Legon opposite IPS in 2005. With all structures in place, nothing could stop the expansion of Ideal College. Branches were established in Tema, Takoradi, Kumasi(4 branches),Sunyani, Kasoa, Lapaz,Sakaman, Techiman and now can boast of 27 branches across the nation all bracing up for the renowned center for educational excellence. Beginning with remedial education, the school added the Ideal Senior High School with a view to solving the problems at the mainstream level. Ideal College is taking Ghana by storm in its quest to leave indelible relics imprinted on the landscape of Ghana’s education. Not only is the school noted for its second-cycle education, but it also offers international programmes such as SAT, TOEFL, GRE, GMAT, IELTS, CAMBRIDGE IGSCE O and A Levels, ACCA, DBS, and University Entrance Exams. Thousands of students have passed through the gates of Ideal College into the country’s leading tertiary institutions as well as foreign universities for undergraduate and postgraduate studies.
Mr Essibu’s vision of raising purposeful and transformational human resource for the nation and beyond has culminated into a project of establishing a University. The Proposed Ideal University has been granted Authorisation by the National Accreditation Board and mobilisation of resources is earnestly in progress. It will offer programmes in Business, Law, Computer Science and later Engineering among other disciplines. He hopes to also establish Primary schools in all the regions to lay a solid foundation for the future leaders of the country. A Publishing house is being established to help in printing and publishing cutting edge materials for students and for general reading.
- The school has been instrumental in the placement of students into leading public and private universities as well as other tertiary institutions in Ghana and abroad.
- Best remedial school in Ghana since 2009 (TNG Corporate Merit Awards)
- Fastest Growing Senior High School in West Africa (West Africa International Governance and Leadership Awards 2012)
- Best Result-oriented Remedial School in Ghana? TNG Corporate Excellence Awards (2012)
- Pillars of Modern Ghana (Private School Category, TNG 2013)
- An Award of Recognition for contributing to education in Ghana (2011) by Asantehene, Otumfour Osei Tutu II
- Best result-oriented remedial institution in West Africa? (Ecowas Educational Institution Recognition Awards by Revelation International Magazines 2012)
- Best Remedial and Senior High School in Ghana (Private School Category) Micjoy Advertising Agency 2014.
Mr. Essibu, through Ideal College, has sponsored numerous students and teaching assistants through their education. Mr. Essibu being an Aluminus of the University of Ghana
Ideal College for the past three years has supported and sponsored the activities of SE EYE WOBA ANKA (SEWA) foundation, a non-governmental organization which seeks to combat child labour and human trafficking in Ghana. Victims of these unfortunate circumstances are awarded full scholarship for a three year Senior High School Education in any of the campuses of Ideal College across the nation. We as well bare the full cost of some victims below the SHS levels who are enrolled in other basic institutions. Idea College spends over Gh ₵40,000 cedis being the total cost of living on these victims annually of which we are prepared to spend more. It is our ultimate goal to establish a basic education which we intend accommodating more of such victims who have been denied quality education due to circumstances. A cash donation of Gh ₵10,000 cedis alongside other relief items is donated to SEWA foundation annually to support its activities.
- The ‘Noble Dr. Essibu Scholarship Scheme’, which gives a full educational scholarship to needy but brilliant students from basic to the tertiary level, has put smiles back to the faces of the beneficiaries whom most are from Senya Breku in the central region.
- Noble Dr. Joseph K. Essibu is currently the founder and major sponsor of the Senya Youth Choir.
- Ideal College continues to remain a major contributor of the Otumfour Educational fund.
- The “Nana Ewusi Foundation” established by the President of the central Regional House of Chiefs and Chief of Gomua Dominase continues to benefit from the scholarship scheme of Ideal College given to deprived children.
In his quest to see Ghana’s standards of education rise to dizzy heights of excellence to meet the demands of the times, Joseph has advocated on numerous platforms for a complete overhaul of the country’s education with more focus on practicals instead of a myriad of theories. He has held press conferences, spoken on educational issues on Radio and TV, written articles in the newspapers, lobbied the universities and the Ministry of Education and GES to address certain challenges militating against the development of education in the country. These have yielded considerable results and the battle is ongoing.
Apart from being a Transformational Leader through the success story of Ideal College, Mr. Essibu mentors a host of young men and women who pass through his tutelage. He also provides the fatherly care and spiritual guidance that they need for their journey through life.
A deeply spiritual man, Dr. Essibu fellowships with the Charismatic Evangelistic Ministry (CEM) and also a strong Christlike Discipleship Movement member and supports other Christian undertakings and missions.
Joseph is happily married to an adorable woman of purpose, Josephine with whom he is blessed with four children: Einstein, Winston, Lois and Paulina.
Purpose, Diligence, Integrity, Creativity, Commitment to Excellence
Reading, imparting knowledge, football, athletics